Wednesday, November 19, 2008

My "Wally World" Experience

I couldn't wait. I'd been anticipating the day for weeks. I was nine, and we were going to Disneyland.

I'd only been a few times before, and it had been a couple of years since the last trip. What I could remember was that half of the park was inaccessible due to expansion and "modernization" of the existing -lands.

There I sat in the backseat of Nana's Nova, ancy as all hell, fidgeting with my pack of goodies; peanut butter and butter sandwiches, chips and candy and the likes. Nana didn't go anywhere without a packed sack of goodies, and almost always peanut butter and butter sandwiches.

Thirty miles later and we had finally arrived. Something wasn't right though. We drove on up through the parking lot straight up to the front row. There were a couple dozen or so other cars parked, a few people walking around, most just sitting in their cars.

It was closed.

Disneyland, was closed.

There would be no It's A Small World, no Pinocchio, no Sleeping Beauty's Castle, no Haunted House, no Pirates. No Disneyland. I was devastated.

And then, as we drove out of the parking lot, we noticed somebody giving directions to another theme park, just down the street.

So we went.

And there we were, at Knotts Berry Farm. Not Disneyland. At first I thought I'd been fooled. I saw no theme park upon entering the not so fantastic gates of this not so fantastic place. I saw nothing but shops. Food, clothing, collectibles, JELLY AFTER JAR AND JAR AND JAR OF JELLY....And then, finally we stumbled into Camp Snoopy.

There I sat in a covered wagon with a popsicle that dripped all over me and attracted every bee in the neighborhood. I Went on the Log Ride, which wet my pants and forced me to walk around with wet denim chafing my thighs. Not to mention the wet socks that were creating air pockets in the arch of my foot with every step I took. It was hot. I was crabby from all the window shopping, turns out Knotts Berry Farm was more for the grandparents than the kids. That is unless you enjoy stationary covered wagons with sticky benches, walking dirt trails in wet shoes and dodging the bumble bees from your cherry flavored skin.

Theres something wonderful and happy to be said about walking in wet shoes, swatting bees, sticky cotton-candy-fingers, sunburned shoulders, long lines, window shopping and hot peanut butter and butter sandwiches...if you're at Disneyland.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww! I liked Knotts when I was a kid. The log ride was one of my favorites. But the best experience was Knotts Scary Farm in October. That was a blast. But I have to admit. The last time I went (5 years ago) I almost fell out of a roller coaster because the restraint was broken. That was a little too scary!

Rachel Burton said...

I went to Knotts at that age too. My family has one of the sepia pictures where they dress you up in the old-timey clothes. But I'd prefer Disney as well. We went to the one in Orlando all the time growing up. I didn't even know they ever closed it!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

hello ppl. I'm actually into shoes and I have been digging for that exact make. The prices as regards the velcros are around 220 pounds everwhere. But completely I found this locate selling them as a remedy for half price. I exceptionally like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy them. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

hi bros. I'm actually into shoes and I have been digging allowing for regarding that exact model. The prices seeking the boots were all over 230 dollars on every site. But finally I base this area selling them someone is concerned half price. I absolutely like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase them. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

good morning people. I'm honestly into shoes and I had been searching for the sake of that particular make. The prices seeking the velcros were approximately 240 dollars everwhere. But completely I bring about this area selling them for half price. I absolutely like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase them. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

good day fellas. I'm actually into shoes and I was looking as far as something that particular brand. The prices for the shoes were all over 220 dollars on every page. But for all I bring about this locate selling them as a remedy for half price. I absolutely love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase them. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

You could easily be making money online in the undercover world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]google blackhat[/URL], You are far from alone if you haven’t heard of it before. Blackhat marketing uses alternative or little-understood methods to generate an income online.