Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Bubble Gum Ice Cream

Do you remember your first trip to 31 Flavors? I do. We had just moved into our new house, in a new neighborhood and had ventured to the shopping center across the interstate.

Gemco....remember that? And Safeway. A few other shops that I don't recall, and then, there on the end of the strip sat the marvelous 31 Flavors.

What did I get, every single time? Bubble Gum Icecream. No mint chip, no chocolate chip, no sorbet, no rocky road. Only that horrible, at-first-it's-white-then-it's-a-horrible-shade-of-a-blue-mess bubblegum ice cream.

You never knew just how many balls you'd find in there. Maybe three....maybe nine. I saved every last one till I was done with my ice cream.

I'd suck on'em, then spit them to the side of my dish and chew them later.

God I loved those cold, hard, balls of ick.

4 comments:

Rachel Burton said...

You're back! Since those were the days before cookie dough ice cream, I was a faithful chocolate chipper. If I wanted gum, it hand to be Big League Chew, the shredded stuff that came in those pouchy things. Ah, the 80s!

Winifred Ruby said...

Yes, Big League Chew WAS a childhood necessity for me too!!! Loved that stuff, and Chocolate CHUNK! Oh the good ole days.

Anonymous said...

My mom would always order Pistachio. I remember how green it looked. Even the taste would bring back memories of her.

Anonymous said...

I truly believe that we have reached the point where technology has become one with our lives, and I am 99% certain that we have passed the point of no return in our relationship with technology.

I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as memory becomes less expensive, the possibility of downloading our memories onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I daydream about all the time.

(Posted using Nintendo DS running [url=http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978023679]R4i[/url] ComP)