Thursday, September 25, 2008

Maybe this is why I had no BFF's...?

My mother told me once that I was just like Lucy, from Peanuts. I was mean to my friends. Rude. Mean. Sometimes, inconsiderate of others.

Nah, not me.

I was just honest. And well, sometimes I didn't think before acting.

Scenario:
My friend Hai, a boy my age also in my 2nd grade class, is playing with a twig in a puddle of mud. There he sat squatting over the puddle of mud. Totally at ease, content. Happy.

My Thoughtless Action:
Big brother: Hey, why don't you throw this rock in the mud?

Me: Ok.

Outcome: Mud, all over Hai's face and clothes. Splattered from head to toe. He's sobbing. He's running. Straight to my mother.

Scenario:
I'm rollerskating around the neighborhood, being chased by the obnoxious "colored" boy (as my nanny would say). He's chasing me and chasing me, laughing and threatening to push. I'm skating faster and faster.....finally I skate into the grass and come to a stop. Boy teases and pokes fun some more...

My Thoughtless Action:
Me: Leave me alone.
Boy: No. Neener neener, nanner nanner, I'm gonna push you.....
Me: I'm gonna kick you.
Boy: No you're not, I'll tell my mama and my sisters and you'll get it.
Me: Oh yea?

Outcome: Swift kick to the shin, with my rollerskate. Boy running, screaming in pain straight to his mama, and his two very large, older sisters.



My mother once made the mistake of telling me what she thought about my friends mother. The mother who didn't work, sent her kids out to play all afternoon till dusk, gave them sticks of french bread to snack on instead of a sandwich, and sat in her recliner smoking all the while.

So, the next time I went to that friends house, I told her mother that my mother said she does nothing all day but sit in her recliner smokin cigarettes.

She called my mom.

So, yea. Sometime I didn't use my head. Sometimes I spoke too soon and acted to quickly, but who didn't.

3 comments:

Terra Chandler said...

Yes, but our first step is admitting our faults. The question is now, after all of this time, what is the second step? *sigh*

Rachel Burton said...

Oh, I was wicked too. Mostly to my little brother though and lots of mind games. I once told him if he brushed his bald Cabbage Patch doll's head with a toothbrush every night, it'd grow hair. You should hve seen all the tiny little scratch marks on his doll's head after a few weeks!

Anonymous said...

Boo!

Please blog moar. :(

To kick you off, I've tagged you on my blog. :D